Monday, May 25, 2009

We did it!!

A creek we passed on the trail.
Such a deceptively easy looking path-if only the whole hike were this easy!

Alyssa early on in the hike, before that little smile turned upside down-this was not easy for her, but she did it!! Great job, Alyssa:-) Mommy and Daddy are proud of you!


Mike and Reagan posed at a creek we passed. Mike not only had Reagan in the front pack, but a very heavy backpack on his back. He is the fit one, so we thought him best for the job!!



This was at the beginning of the hike before everyone knew what they were in for!




Reagan and Mommy at the top-her first hike at just 10 months old. Such a big girl!





Although difficult to judge from this picture, this rock is a cliff that drops off-the kids are posing just feet from the edge!






We were so happy to reach the top-see the trees and mountains below us?







What is it exactly that we did, you ask? We took Matthew, August, Alyssa and Reagan to Little Si and we hiked to the top of it!!! It was amazing-I was soooo proud of my kids for completing the hike, and the views from the top were awesome. The top was a cliff, so it isn't something you would want to do with a child who runs off, but our children did great. The hike is 2.3 miles each way, which may not sound like very far, but when you are scaling round a mountain and dealing with many steep areas, it was quite the hike. I would recommend this hike ideally for August's age and up, but our little Alyssa was a trooper. The scenery is breath-taking and something I really can't describe, other than it feels like you are traveling through a forest lush and green with moss and plants and trees and rocks towering above you with tops so tall you can't see them. Too cool! Hike it if you ever get the chance:-)

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Schaal family! I guess Mike's hours at the gym served him well. I can't believe your kids endured- what troopers! These are some great pictures. Who took the one of your family? I especially like the one of the kids on the rock (but I felt nervous knowing they were on a cliff!) I am so glad you guys are getting nice weather. You do a good job of describing the setting- wish I were there! Nature is so beautiful. Planting trees and hiking- what a fun weekend for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic day. I love the boys with their backpacks :-) Tell Mike he looks fantastic ... the one of the entire family should be Christmas card potential ... just photo shop Ryan in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, how great of Alyssa to be such a trooper! Let her know we're very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matthew, August, Alyssa and Reagan...Mom and Dad......fantastic hike and what super troopers. Great pictures and thank you for sharing them with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LUCKY!!! I have never gone hiking in my life [well at least never on my feet or that I remember.] I can't imagine! It looks beautiful from the pictures but I bet it was even better in real life. Mom and Dad say how much they love California and how much they hated Washington. I personally really miss Washington. I am sooo amazed Alyssa did that hike. I don't think I could have done that. We live right next to a foothill that would be perfect for hiking. I hope we can come to your house for thanks giving. I have never seen a free bear before and might not want to.

    -Ash

    ReplyDelete

Comments are fun, so please leave one!